Date: 1/2/21 4:55 pm
From: Chuq Von Rospach via groups.io <chuqui...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Bayside 1/2
I didn't get out birding on the 1st, but did get a couple of hours in this afternoon. I decided to start bayside hitting some easy spots to start filling out the yearly dance card:

Geng Road: dipped on the two celebrities again (of course). did add yellow-rumped to the year list.

Palo Alto Baylands:

I added a Matthew Dodder to my year list. I also added a Peregrine on a power tower way to the north and a full adult bald eagle on a power tower to the south. toss in a couple of Ravens, a Northern Harrier, Greater Scaup and Canvasbacks to the interesting list here

Shoreline: the lots were full so I did a drive through and will be back later.

EEC: found a spot at the gate entrance but light was fading and birds weren't terribly interesting. Zero killdeer visible and most others were tucked and napping. I did have another Peregrine on a power tower, and I was able to add a white-tailed kite, my first red-tailed hawk and a say's phoebe to the list. Also, of all things, some  heard but distinct red-winged blackbirds BRAAAAPing in the distance.

At 41 species for a couple of hours birding and already grabbed one species I dipped in 2020 (Bald Eagle of all misses), it's a decent start for me.

---------------------------------------

Chuq Von Rospach http://www.chuq.me
Email: <chuqui...>
Twitter: @chuq