Date: 1/2/21 10:22 am
From: James P Smith <keenbirder...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Millers River - inland Harlequin
Greetings birders,

Yesterday evening I read a fascinating report from Anne Jemes concerning a
young Harlequin on the Millers River near Millers Falls. The description
was excellent and I followed it up this morning finding a first-winter male
Harlequin just upriver from the confluence of the Connecticut and Millers
Rivers, actually not too far from the French King Bridge on Rt 2. The spot
can be accessed from Dorsey Road/Pine Meadow Road with a small amount of
parking close to the bike path bridge over the Millers River at East
Mineral Road. A narrow footpath on the east bank follows the river upstream
and the bird was about 1/4 mile upriver from the bike path bridge. It was
the only duck present on that particular stretch.

Congratulations go to Anne Jemes for an exceptional find.

A few pics of the bird, the habitat and a map of the location can be seen
here;

http://pioneerbirding.blogspot.com/2021/01/ma-harlequin-in-franklin-county.html

<http://pioneerbirding.blogspot.com/2021/01/ma-harlequin-in-franklin-county.html>
Good birding,