Date: 1/2/21 7:40 am
From: <anhinga3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] New Year's Day Birding Trip 01/01/2021
Happy New Year MassBirders!

Well, yesterday Mark Burns and I would have led our 25th Annual New Year's
Day Birding Trip for the Brookline Bird Club. But we cancelled the trip due
to the pandemic. While we missed seeing our NYD "regular" trip attendees we
birded the day with a few friends and met up with others at several birding
spots. We started our day at 9:00AM and birded right up to 5:00PM. Stops
included Cashman Park; Salisbury Beach State Reservation; points in between
Bolton, Clinton, Sterling, Lancaster, and Princeton; and Newbury. It was a
perfect winter day with a crystal blue sky and temperatures in the
mid-to-high 30s and low 40s. My day list consists of 37 species but I know
there were birds seen by others that I did not see. Here's my NYD list:

Canada Goose

American Black Duck

Long-tailed Duck

Hooded Merganser (Sterling backroads)

Northern Harrier

Red-tailed Hawk

Merlin (Route 495 fly by)

Wild Turkey (Sterling backroads)

Herring Gull

Great Black-backed Gull

Rock Pigeon

Mourning Dove

Snowy Owl (Salisbury)

Belted Kingfisher (Lancaster backroads)

Red-headed Woodpecker (Princeton)

Red-bellied Woodpecker (Lancaster)

Downy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker (Clinton backroads)

Blue Jay

American Crow

Black-capped Chickadee

Tufted Titmouse

Red-breasted Nuthatch

White-breasted Nuthatch

Carolina Wren

American Robin

Northern Mockingbird (My 1st bird of the year)

European Starling

Yellow-throated Warbler (Lancaster)

Snow Bunting (Salisbury)

Northern Cardinal

Pine Grosbeak (Bolton)

House Finch

Red Crossbill (Salisbury)

White-winged Crossbill (Salisbury)

American Goldfinch

House Sparrow

Here's wishing you all a very Happy, Healthy, and Birdy 2021!

Laura H. de la Flor

Salem, MA

"So much to learn about Mother Nature ..
... always racing with father time." (lhf)

Join us on Facebook!