Date: 1/1/21 10:05 pm
From: Jane Tatchell <Jane...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Coastside and La Honda Creek OSP highlights January 1
Peter Headland and I visited a few places along the coast to start the New Year and got a few interesting sightings. Unfortunately, I haven't entered my eBird checklists yet, but the highlights follow: At San Gregorio SB, at high tide,, many Heerman's Gulls, a Mew Gulls, and, I think, a Ring-billed Gull, which I know is unusual on the coast. I have photos to check, but it was definitely different from the Cal. Gulls of various ages around it. At Pescadero SB south parking lot, with the tide still high, on the big rock that is accessible from the shore at low tide, we counted 22 Whitbread. There were also many Turnstones, both Black and Ruddy. At Pescadero Marsh, we saw one adult Bald Eagle and a male Eurasian Wigeon among the many American Wigeons. I also had a Black-necked Stilt fly through the field of my binocular view, but then disappear into the pickleweed, never to be seen again. Unfortunately, Peter didn't see that bird at all. At Pigeon Point, we got delightful views of a Red-throated Loon diving in the shallow water close to the shore. In the fading light of the late afternoon, we walked the track at La Honda Creek OSP to the farmstead and spotted a single Loggerhead Shrike.A packed day, and we didn't even visit all the places we'd planned! Happy 2021 everyone! Jane Tatchell, Redwood City