Date: 1/1/21 8:07 pm
From: Paul Plotnick via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Fish at Captain’s Cove, Bridgeport
Menhaden (bunker). Plankton feeders that should be on their way south long
before this but for some reason this year - maybe warm water in the Sound -
they are still here but the plankton grows scarce in cold water and the
bunker die off. They have also died from lack of oxygen in the water. I was
fishing off the Stamford pier at Cummings Park a few weeks ago and the
water was alive with them but the usual predators - bluefish and striped
bass - were missing. I actually foul-hooked one by accident reeling in my
line they were so thick. Tossed him back. I've been on the Sound since the
early 1940s and I've never seen so many as this year.