Date: 1/1/21 2:58 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] NH Coast (PACIFIC LOON, 5 species of shorebirds, etc.)
Jane and I covered the coast today trying to get a head start on our
2021 year list.  A lot of the normal stuff, but a couple of cool birds:

PACIFIC LOON - 1 off the south side of Odiorne Point State Park near the
bath houses.  Distant bird (too far for photos) that kept diving and
moving, but Jane and I were able to stay on it for about 45 minutes or
more so a small number of other birders were able to get over and see
it.  Also lots of other loons here with several Common and a few
Red-throated.

SEMIPALMATED PLOVER - 1 RETURNING TO RYE HARBOR!!!  Presumably the same
bird that overwintered last winter in the Rye harbor area (1st ever
overwintering record for NH) has returned.  First seen yesterday by
Linda Maley, it seemingly has to be the same bird.  It was roosting at
high tide in the exact same spot that I found it many times last
winter.  Inside Rye harbor toward the base of the inside rock jetty on
the north side.
https://flic.kr/p/2ko2U8j

Black-bellied Plover - 1 in Rye north of Pulpit Rocks roosting in
rocks.  There had been one in Hampton harbor.  This one was a surprise.

Dunlin & Sanderling - Distant views of both shorebirds roosting on
Hampton harbor jetty on the north side.

Purple Sandpiper - A few from a few locations.  Including this nice
close bird SHOWING WHY THEY ARE CALLED PURPLES!  Notice the purple sheen
to the back feathers in this photo:
https://flic.kr/p/2ko2U9r

Razorbill - About 18 total including 8 from Odiorne.

Black Guillemot - At least 2.

Merlin - 1 in Seabrook.

Yellow-rumped Warbler - 1 in Seabrook.

Glaucous Gull - Adult "Glockenspiel" on top of the bathouses in Seabrook.

Steve & Jane Mirick
Bradford, MA