Date: 1/1/21 1:43 pm
From: Iain Macleod <pandiain.im...>
Subject: [NHBirds] New Years Lakes Region birding
My first bird of the New Year here in Center Harbor was a drumming *Pileated
Woodpecker* just after the alarm went off. This was territorial drumming
which is a sign that spring is round the corner.
I discovered later that the Pileated is ABA "bird of the year"....so I
guess they were right!
Later I poked around mostly in New Hampton, Meredith and Center Harbor
checking favorite spots. I tallied 21 species for the day (an appropriate
number to start of this year)
Highlights were 11 different *Bald Eagles*, 3 Red-tailed Hawks, *Pine
Grosbeaks* in Meredith.
The best bird of the day was a *Winter Wren* in the small cattail marsh at
the south end of Lake Waukewan. It responded to pishing and popped right
out to alarm back.

Iain MacLeod