Date: 1/1/21 12:20 pm
From: Joseph Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: BEAVER LAKE and a very cool observation at Fort Smith
After serious winter weather north and west of us, a couple of hours at Beaver Lake seemed an opportune way to open doors, ornithologically-speakin’, for 2021. Tops of the Shortleaf Pines on ridges were iced-over. Promising weather, but no rare birds to report. At Rocky Branch: Common Goldeneye (5), Horned Grebe (52) and Common Loon (1). Coppermine is another big open cove. This seemed promising when first birds I saw were Bonaparte’s Gulls (6). This was followed by Pied-billed Grebe (5), Horned Grebe (18) and Common Loon (5).
On a separate note: I was on phone last night with Bill Beall. During recent Ft Smith CBC, Jim Nieting (who was with Bill) photographed some huge flocks of Red-winged Blackbirds. They came up with 4-million after measuring the field they were in and estimating density across the field. Examining Jim's photos, they also found 8 YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS. I think this is a first for that CBC. The whole way they did this was very clever.

or click the following link: