Date: 1/1/21 11:02 am
From: Peter Metropulos <pjmetrop...>
Subject: [pen-bird] YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER at Cypress Lawn Cemetery,Colma,Dec.29.
Happy New Year !
On Tuesday,Dec.29,while participating on the San Francisco CBC my job was to cover the western portion of Cypress Lawn Cemetery in Colma.Being an aficionado of birding in the "bone orchard", especially on a sunny day with no humans in sight much of the time, this was a fulfilling task.At noon I was mesmerized by a pack of Pygmy Nuthatches,a dozen strong,frantically caching seeds of an Arborvitae in crevices of tree trunks when a sapsucker flew past me and landed in a dead-looking Ash tree. There was no problem on this i.d. ! It was an adult male YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER.Just then my attention was drawn to a group of four Northern Flickers foraging on the lawn. One of them had a black "whisker",raising suspicions it may be a male of the YELLOW-SHAFTED form. The bird flushed revealing lemon-yellow underwing feathers. This is the third consecutive winter I have observed a similar bird in this cemetery.
Earlier that day I met up with Dominic Mosur at the east entrance of Cypress Lawn,where we birded for a few minutes around the small duck ponds.A male YELLOW WARBLER caught us by surprise as it appeared like magic right in front of us in a shrub on the edge of the lawn.

Peter Metropulos