Date: 1/1/21 9:03 am
From: Jody Williams <fisherwoods...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Late report, Marana Blackbirds, etc.
External Email

Two days ago, while birding along Stingray Road in Marana after 4 PM, , I watched a flock of blackbirds heading south. It was well over 1/2 mile long and I estimate 10,000 plus birds. It was reminiscent of the flocks of several years ago that were roosting at Orange Grove and W Ina Road concrete plant wetlands. It would be nice to find the roost as morning lift-offs were such an amazing spectacle.

I only saw two Burring Owls as a Northern Harrier coursed the area frequently. There was a flock of around 50 Horned Larks, Vesper, Brewer’s and Song Sparrows, a Loggerhead Shrike and Mountain Bluebirds. Four Turkey Vultures ticked ebird’s algorithm.
Three Harriers were hunting together south of Wentz Road.

Speaking of concrete plants: The Cemex plant’s pit just south of Tangerine, had 4 Snow Geese, a Western Grebe, a Hooded Merganser, Pied-bill Grebe, Northern Pintails, Ring-necked Ducks and Mallards.

John R Williams