Date: 1/1/21 8:21 am
From: Gregory Hanisek via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Atlas C Repolls Waterbury
Amidst raucous partying among 66 to 92 year olds, I managed to find time on
New Year's Eve to search for a 2 point (see Big Jan rules) CT Bird Atlas
block I could visit this morning. Much to my delight I found orphaned block
65E, tucked in next to Waterbury blocks I already cover and just a few
miles from my house. I wasn't expecting much in an area filled with condos,
industrial tracts and suburbia, but that's the beauty of the Atlas. It
makes you visit areas that no birder is likely to visit.

Within the first half of a 1-hour survey I found a Fox Sparrow in a spot
where an assisted-living facility dumps its leaves and trimmings. (Knowing
its chip note helped). Then a few minutes later I drove into a big empty
parking lot at Bridgeport U.'s Waterbury facility and found a flock of 22
Common Redpolls in a group of Gray Birch lining the pavement.

I managed to work 2 surveys into the block and was home eating a bagel with
cream cheese and lox by 10:15 a.m. I totaled 23 species in the 2 surveys
with no water, including Common Raven and Eastern Bluebird.

Here's hoping the effort to add to the Atlas this January is as successful
as efforts to chase birds found by other people in past Big Januarys:)

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury