Date: 1/1/21 2:49 am
Subject: One last trip to Outer Banks
Greetings and Happy New Year

It’s 0515 hrs New Years Day and I just woke up from a 7 hr nap on the sofa after a very busy last two day trip to the Outer Banks for the third trip there this month.

I got up on Wednesday morning at 0030 hrs and took my morning meds and laid back down for another hr but didn’t go back to sleep and so I got back up and decided to go for the Snowy Owl at Pea Island and after a 4.5 hr drive down I started looking at 0730 hr at the last know location the new inlet bridge and was soon joined by Sheri Thompson and after about 2 hrs I got a text that the owl had just been relocated at the Old Coast Guard Station and so we made a beeline there and we are to find the owl. What a great and beautiful looking owl. It was a NC Lifer for me and it has been a bird that I have been fascinated with since I was a little boy when I saw my first in a cigar commercial.

After seeing the owl I went to Jennette’s Pier but it was slow and after a couple of hrs I went to Sandy Run Park and enjoyed the loop trail if you haven’t been here it a great place to enjoy some nice easy pace birding.

I had planned to spend the nice just in case I needed it to find the owl so on Thursday morning I went to N Pond on Pea Island to look for the female Common Goldeneye and the Brant that had been seen there that I needed for Year birds for NC. While on the N Pond Wildlife Trail and looking north flying straight towards me and not too high up was a Magnificent Frigatebird boy did I get excited and luckily I had my camera and I was able to get some great pictures of it.

I was so excited because every time I drive across the Bonner Bridge I look for one flying around but never saw one.

So when I started my drive down on Wednesday morning I said my prayers to ask the Good Lord to watch over me and bring me home safely and that I get to see the Snowy Owl. And then l added Lord I wouldn’t mind seeing a Frigatebird as well if it be your will. Prayers answered.

I spent 7 hrs looking for the other two species but didn’t see either but what a way to end the year seeing the Frigatebird as it was my last NC Lifer and Year Bird so it was fitting that I didn’t see either of the other two.

Summary trip list follows

HAPPY NEW YEAR🎊🎈🎊🎈

eBird Checklist Summary for: to Dec 30, 2020 at 6:00 AM Dec 31, 2020 at 6:30 PM

Number of Checklists: 7
Number of Taxa: 69

Checklists included in this summary:
(1): Pea Island NWR
Date: Dec 30, 2020 at 7:30 AM
(2): Pea Island NWR--Old Coast Guard Station
Date: Dec 30, 2020 at 10:15 AM
(3): Nags Head--Jennette's Pier
Date: Dec 30, 2020 at 12:00 PM
(4): Sandy Run Park
Date: Dec 30, 2020 at 2:20 PM
(5): Pea Island NWR--North Pond Wildlife Trail
Date: Dec 31, 2020 at 7:30 AM
(6): Pea Island NWR--North Pond
Date: Dec 31, 2020 at 11:15 AM
(7): Bonner Bridge (South Rock Jetty)
Date: Dec 31, 2020 at 12:35 PM

400 Snow Goose -- (5)
50 Canada Goose -- (5),(6)
320 Tundra Swan -- (1),(5),(6)
84 Northern Shoveler -- (1),(5)
41 Gadwall -- (5),(6)
82 American Wigeon -- (1),(5),(6)
31 Mallard -- (5),(6)
42 American Black Duck -- (5),(6)
2002 Northern Pintail -- (1),(5),(6)
11 Green-winged Teal -- (5),(6)
80 Redhead -- (5)
8 Ring-necked Duck -- (5),(6)
10 Lesser Scaup -- (5)
1 Surf Scoter -- (3)
4 Black Scoter -- (3)
1 Long-tailed Duck -- (6)
41 Bufflehead -- (5),(6)
4 Hooded Merganser -- (5)
37 Red-breasted Merganser -- (5),(6),(7)
101 Ruddy Duck -- (5),(6)
16 Pied-billed Grebe -- (5),(6)
30 Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) -- (3)
302 American Coot -- (5),(6)
40 American Avocet -- (6)
1 Black-bellied Plover -- (7)
15 Killdeer -- (1),(5),(6)
24 Marbled Godwit -- (6)
3 Ruddy Turnstone -- (7)
3 Purple Sandpiper -- (7)
5 Greater Yellowlegs -- (5)
30 Willet -- (6)
171 Bonaparte's Gull -- (1),(3),(7)
90 Ring-billed Gull -- (1),(3),(4),(5),(6),(7)
2 Herring Gull -- (6),(7)
16 Great Black-backed Gull -- (1),(3),(5),(6),(7)
1 Red-throated Loon -- (3)
2 Common Loon -- (3)
1 Magnificent Frigatebird -- (5)
50 Northern Gannet -- (1),(3)
150 Double-crested Cormorant -- (1),(5),(6),(7)
5 American White Pelican -- (5)
61 Brown Pelican -- (1),(3),(5),(7)
1 Great Blue Heron (Blue form) -- (4)
2 Great Egret -- (5)
1 Snowy Egret -- (5)
1 Tricolored Heron -- (5)
32 White Ibis -- (1),(5)
14 Turkey Vulture -- (4)
1 Northern Harrier -- (5)
2 Bald Eagle -- (1),(2)
1 Snowy Owl -- (2)
1 Red-bellied Woodpecker -- (4)
1 Downy Woodpecker -- (4)
1 Pileated Woodpecker -- (4)
2 Peregrine Falcon -- (1),(6)
5 American Crow -- (4)
7 Carolina Chickadee -- (4)
1 Tree Swallow -- (2)
1 Brown Creeper -- (4)
1 Carolina Wren -- (4)
5 Gray Catbird -- (4),(5)
2 Eastern Bluebird -- (4)
1 American Robin -- (4)
2 House Finch -- (4)
5 sparrow sp. -- (5)
5 Eastern Meadowlark -- (5)
50 Red-winged Blackbird -- (4)
30 Boat-tailed Grackle -- (1),(3)
17 Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) -- (2),(4),(5)

This trip summary was created using the eBird app for iPhone and iPad.
See eBird for more information.

From my iPhone

Go Birding be Safe

May God Bless and Keep You