Date: 12/31/20 5:44 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] 2020 - The Year of the Grosbeak!
Jane took today off from work and we traveled north of the White
Mountains......and we FINALLY got our Evening Grosbeaks for the year!
Like Jim Sparrell (and likely others), this is the 5th species of
Grosbeak for NH for Jane and I (Black-headed, Blue, Rose-breasted,
Evening, and Pine).  A very rare opportunity for NH. Most years I get
one or two.  Maybe three.  For the record, here they are!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/50784491168/in/photostream/lightbox/

North of the Mountains actually has very few birds as the wild food
supply is extremely thin.  So birds that are around, are at feeders.
There is also, surprisingly, zero snow!  Highlights today:

EVENING GROSBEAK - We poked around a few neighborhoods in Twin Mountain
and Whitefield and cruised around Hazen and Colby Roads, but no luck so
we called Dave Govatskis to bale us out.  We drove down his driveway and
immediately got grosbeaks.  77 of them by our count!!!  Dave had 86
earlier in the day.  Also present was a "Yellow Grosbeak" which lacked a
lot of black pigment and appeared all yellow.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/50785196461/in/photostream/lightbox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/50784438528/in/photostream/lightbox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/50785196476/in/photostream/lightbox/

PINE GROSBEAK - 1 adult male at Dave's feeders.  Also two female type
birds in downtown Gorham.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/50785200521/in/photostream/lightbox/

BOHEMIAN WAXWING - 145 counted from photo near Middle School along Main
Street in Gorham.  Apparently the numbers are increasing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/50785299647/in/photostream/lightbox/

Steve & Jane Mirick
Bradford, MA