Date: 12/31/20 5:21 pm
From: Ronald- Thorn via groups.io <Tronthorn...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Last posting for 2020

I have been checking the gull flock on Upper Crystal Springs Reservoir in the mornings. There have been ( 200-400 ) on my visits.On December 28 after a night of rain, on that morning ( 1,200 ) gulls came in from the coast and landed in the water before takingoff in the direction of San Francisco Bay. Most of the gulls were adult Herring Gulls. There was one gull showing characteristicsof a first-cycle Vega Gull. A conservative count made of Iceland Gulls,  ( 80 ) were noted. There were the expected Californiaand Glaucous-winged Gulls. As on other visits, a single adult Western Gull was noted. Western Gulls are usually scarce in withthe gull flocks. Any dark-backed gull will stand out! There were also a small number of Western x Glaucous-winged and Herringx Glaucous-winged hybrids.
The irruption of Pine Siskins has come to the lowlands east of El Camino Real. Morning skywatches from home in Redwood Shores,( 20-50 ) have been noted in groups. A high number of ( 200 ) were flying in and landing on gravel in front of the Redwood HighSchool along Old County Rd. in Redwood City.
Happy New Year to all!Welcome 2021!
Ron Thorn and Leonie Batkin