Date: 12/31/20 12:52 pm
From: Ryan Tomazin <wvwarblers...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] December 31, 2020: Coyote Hollow , Thetford Center
Absolutely. That closing paragraph, I'm sure everyone has their own version, and I can relate to his emotion there very much.

Luckily, after a positively shivery spring here in Western PA, where an unbelievable glut of work kept me inside, June and July brought me wonderful memories. A misplaced Western Meadowlark that took up residence in northeastern WV and became a life bird for me. Doing BBS routes, whether the USGS wants the data or not.

My favorite memory being, among many nights out in various woodlands and edges with my new moth light setup, one on July 20th. The night was comfortable and stone-silent, save for a Barred Owl and a Yellow-billed Cuckoo that chimed in occasionally. I spent five quick hours photographing hundreds of moths, and was in bliss when covered with moths. Beautiful Wood Nymphs on my shorts and boots. Various green and gold slug moths on my shirt. A Luna and a couple of Polyphemus moths landing on my back, shoulder and pants after literally crashing out of the forest uphill from me. And all the other ones, both identified and not, that covered me, my moth sheet, and the trees and foliage all around.

Somewhere during all that joy, I accommodated many dozens of biting gnats and mosquitoes, but the itches are long gone. The memories remain!

The 2nd snowiest December in Pittsburgh's modern history, Evening Grosbeaks, tons of good homemade food and drink, fantastic music...this year didn't claim me, as other personally bad ones have. On to next year for us all!

Cheers to all the faraway Vermont people that I hope to meet someday, and those I might have met if COVID had not erased our May plans to visit fair VT.

Ryan Tomazin - Bridgeville, PA