Date: 12/31/20 8:16 am
From: Joseph Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: Arkansas ornithological history help needed
In 2010, Doug James was featured speaker at the Arkansas Audubon Society fall meeting. He gave a funny, illustrated powerpoint about his life in ornithology. Doug was introduced by Kim Smith who provided a humorous background on Doug’s career. For example: Doug James was the only birder in Arkansas who saw Babe Ruth play baseball! Students from Arkansas Tech filmed the talk. I was given a copy of the DVD. These talks took on new poignancy with subsequent deaths of both Doug and Kim. We need help getting these talks on the Northwest Arkansas Audubon Society where others can easily enjoy them. Richard Stauffacher and I have converted the DVD to an mp4 file, so it can be uploaded to youtube and then from a link on NWAAS website. However, we are having difficulty with aspect ratio – the images are distorted. So here’s the ask: is there anyone in the Fayetteville/northwest Arkansas area with the software or technical ability to convert the DVD to mp4 and also fix the aspect ratio? If yes, please let me know. We’d like it to look as good as possible. For many years, they were leading lights in AAS, and in ornithology for the whole state. For many in the future, this will be the way they know them.

or click the following link: