Date: 12/30/20 8:10 pm
From: Bob Toleno <bob...>
Subject: [pen-bird] San Francisco CBC - Area 12 highlights
(Copying both SFBirds and Peninsula Birding because our area is entirely
within San Mateo County)

Juli Chamberlin and i led the area 12 team for the SF CBC again this year,
which covers parts of South San Francisco and San Bruno adjacent to the
bay. We had a great team consisting of Juli and i, plus two other pairs of
birders, Malia DeFelice & Chris Hayward and Susan Mullaney & Pete Winch.
Some of the highlights from our area included:

- A male Northern Pintail in Colma Creek where it crosses Airport Blvd
- A Pelagic Cormorant at Oyster Cove Marina
- A male Yellow Warbler near Oyster Cove Marina, 24 Long-billed
Dowitchers at Colma Creek mouth (found by Malia and Chris)
- At least 24 Long-billed Dowitchers at Colma Creek mouth (our largest
total ever)
- A singing Oak Titmouse (!!!) in a San Bruno neighborhood near Lion's
Park (this was a first for our area and i believe only the first or second
*ever* on the SF CBC--someone correct me if i'm wrong)
- A very interesting Sterna tern at Oyster Point Marina with a full
black cap that's either a Forster's with an extremely late prebasic molt or
possibly a Common Tern with a slightly late molt (found by Malia and Chris,
photos are still being circulated for ID opinions)
- A hybrid Blue-winged Teal X Northern Shoveler in SamTrans Marsh that i
completely forgot to mention at the CBC Zoom meeting last night. You can
see distant, mediocre photos of this really cool-looking bird in Juli's and
my eBird checklist here:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S78236419

Our species total was 109 (or 110 if the interesting Sterna ends up being a
Common Tern), which is pretty typical for our area.

Good birding,
Bob Toleno & Juli Chamberlin
Hayward