Date: 12/30/20 3:09 pm
From: 'pat j' via Birders <birders...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Orion Magazine | 9 Rules for the Woke Birdwatcher

When we send an email to this list server, we send it to <birders...>,not <My_Agenda...>! I agree with Bill, I think we need to get backto bird related subjects on this list server and check the other subjects atthe door! We are not always going to agree with everyone else about everysubject so why not share the birding activities and reports that we all enjoyand let it go at that. Ultimately, I guess it's up to the administrator of thissite as to what will be allowed and what will not be tolerated. Usually when Isee posts like this I hit the delete button, I think it's a shame we have to trudgethrough all the minutiae to get to the heart of what this site was initially intendedto be… a place to share our passion of birding!  Patrick J.

On Wednesday, December 30, 2020, 04:48:53 PM EST, 'THOMAS HODGSON' via Birders <birders...> wrote:

Well said Bill!

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 30, 2020, at 4:24 PM, 'Bill Sonnett' via Birders <birders...> wrote:

 This group was designed to bring folks with like interest (in this case bird watching) together. Strongly expressed opinions on almost any other subject (cats, guns, eating meat, abortion, religion, politics, etc. etc.) in the end will divide us. That is why there are other groups that specialize in these types of debates. I am 77 and have been watching birds all my life and have many friends who enjoy the hobby with me. Almost all disagree with each other on some subject, but we get together to celebrate our like interest. Most have the maturity to leave their differences aside and treat everyone with respect and enjoy what we have in common. With that being said, my vote is to stick with birds.
William Sonnett, Jackson, Michigan

On Wednesday, December 30, 2020, 03:12:39 PM EST, <ibblazin...> <ibblazin...> wrote:

Thank you, Josh, for being the voice of reason. I agree that if one opinion needs to be honored, all should be. I agree with Patrick. I also agree with other posters who say all birders or, more appropriately, all people deserve courtesy and respect and that discussions about race are important. I just don’t think this board is the place to have them or that it should be used to promote one’s social agenda. As for “if you don’t like the post, don’t read it”, that’s nearly impossible. I don’t know what the post is about until I read it and, once read, it can’t be un-read if it’s objectionable to me. I subscribe to Birders to learn about/find news about birds. There are plenty of other forums for posting links and having discussions about social issues. Can we please stick to birds and the occasional butterfly?

Anita

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<8B01EE57-71C5-484D-ABCB-667680DF8F71...>

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org