Date: 12/30/20 12:21 pm
From: Bill Bousman <barlowi...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Help with backyard visitors ID: House finch or purple finch?
As you suggest, Purple Finch and Pine Siskin.  The female Purple Finch
and immature males are almost identical.  The larger bill and the white
supercilium back of the eye are the quick ways to tell them from the
House Finch, but the later also has blurry streaks and a gray-brown
ground color where the Purple Finch has white offsetting the brown
stripes.  The bill of the Pine Siskin is small (compared to a Purple)
and pointed.  The females show hardly any yellow, but look carefully at
the base of the primaries and secondaries and you can see pale yellow,
something you won't see on the Purple/House finches.

Bill Bousman
Menlo Park

On 12/30/2020 11:35 AM, Emilie Danna wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A female/immature finch visited my backyard in Sunnyvale this morning.
> I think it's a purple finch because of the white eyebrow and the
> darker color on the face
> (https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Purple_Finch/species-compare/63736721
> <https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Purple_Finch/species-compare/63736721>)
> but this would be the first time I see one, so I would be grateful if
> someone can confirm or infirm. Here are the photos of this mystery
> finch: https://photos.app.goo.gl/JBEpUud5cCjLweBU6
> <https://photos.app.goo.gl/JBEpUud5cCjLweBU6>
>
> In the same way, could someone help with the identification of this
> other backyard visitor? I think it's a pine siskin because of the thin
> pointy bill and the faint yellow in the tail but not entirely sure:
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/rVfB1ZWYTr3dzFmTA
> <https://photos.app.goo.gl/rVfB1ZWYTr3dzFmTA>
>
> Thank you!

View/Reply Online (#23349): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/23349