Date: 12/30/20 9:00 am
From: Bill Bousman <barlowi...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Possible Costa's Hummingbird at Santa Teresa CP (iNaturalist sighting)
Folks:

I'm unsure about this bird.  The upper half looks good for a male
Costa's, but the lower half is typical of Anna's.  Notice how the tail
projects well beyond the wing tips, whereas in Costa's the wing tips are
lined up with the the tail or ever so slightly farther.  I would think
this is too late in the year for a HY male Anna's not to have replaced
all of its gorget (sometimes in their molts, you can see individual
feathers like this).  There are hybrids, of course, but that is a more
difficult ID.

Bill Bousman
Menlo Park

On 12/30/2020 8:13 AM, Brooke Miller via groups.io wrote:
> On Dec. 27, an iNat observer found and photographed a hummingbird he
> ID’ed as Costa’s.  His photo also seems to indicate that it is, as
> well.  Here’s the observation:
>
> https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/67161710
> <https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/67161710>
>
> Brooke Miller