Date: 12/29/20 12:09 pm
From: Gena Zolotar via groups.io <gzolotar...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Green-tailed towhee continues + Empid flycatcher
As reported by Dani earlier this morning, today (12/29) there was an Empidonax flycatcher foraging in the oaks along the creek just east of where the Santa Teresa Creek meets the trail, approx. 37.2045, -121.8157. I obtained a couple of distant pictures that are in my eBird checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S78211908 . The photos show fairly long wings relative to the tail (Hammond's?), but the bill appears quite wide. Bill color was hard to discern in the field due to backlighting, and there is the same issue in my photos - the bill looks completely orange, but that could be an artifact of the sunlight. The bird had a fairly yellow belly and grayish back, and a slight eyering. Input on ID would be greatly appreciated, although I'm not sure the photos are diagnostic.

Good birding,Gena ZolotarMountain View

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020, 10:27:09 AM PST, Dani Christensen <danichristensen1128...> wrote:

Hi birders,
The Green-tailed towhee continues on the Calero Creek Trail, where the trail crosses the dry Santa Teresa creek. Seen from about 9:20-10:00 with Gena & Jeff Zolotar. Hanging out with a flock of Golden-crowned sparrows and juncos, sometimes on the trail and sometimes in the grassy field opposite the orchard. At one point it gave a buzzy trill.
While looking at the towhee, Gena spotted an Empidonax flycatcher, at which point we lost the towhee trying to follow this bird instead. It moved East along the trail along Santa Teresa Creek and out of sight. She has nice photos and may be able to chime in with more detail.
Happy Trails,
Dani

View/Reply Online (#23330): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/23330
-=-=-