Date: 12/29/20 11:54 am
From: Anne Harrington <anneharr...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Palo Alto duck pond
Another unintended consequence was poor water quality due to extra organic material from the concentration of birds and food debris in a relatively small, shallow pond.

Yes, it could be a fun way to introduce children to birds - except for some kid a goose might get a bit too close to - but it wasn’t healthy for the birds.

There were reasons feeding became prohibited.

Anne H. ( Palo Alto resident)

> On Dec 29, 2020, at 9:58 AM, Mike Voydanoff <mike...> wrote:
>
> Making birds sick by feeding them food they shouldn’t be eating is a good example of an unintended consequence.
>
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 9:39 AM lavin_fara <pdunten...> <mailto:<pdunten...>> wrote:
> Do you suppose the extra food would increase the rat population?
> And might rats supplement their diet with Ridgway's Rail eggs and young?
>
> This reminds me of a good read on unintended consequences and invasive species,
> T. C. Boyle's novel 'When the Killing's Done.'
>
> Pete

View/Reply Online (#23329): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/23329
-=-=-

-=-=-