Date: 12/28/20 2:25 pm
From: Aaron Maizlish <amm.birdlists...>
Subject: Re: [pen-bird] Something fun - What was your favorite bird experience in San Mateo County in 2020 - take 2
Hi Malia,

Thanks for putting this together. I had a lot of nice birding moments in San Mateo County this year. But there is one birding moment that will stand out in my memory above all of the others.

Discovering the large flock of Red Crossbills coming to the Bodhisattva Statue in the new Lotus Garden at Skylawn Cemetery has to be the year’s highlight for me. I have been making brief stops at Skylawn for many years, especially when my daughter was attending grade school nearby. This spring I watched the Lotus Garden being expanded, and this fall when I came back I was delighted to see flocks of birds using the new water features. In October I observed a large flock of Pine Siskins descend on the statue, which I thought was strange behavior. But it was pure enchantment on November 21st to see large flocks of Red Crossbills using the new statue as their perch over the pools. Though I didn’t make a public posting, about it at the time, trying to respect the calm of the setting, it has been great to see all number of birders and photographers enjoy the crossbills in this totally unique setting. I think this beautiful ridge top water-feature may bring in a lot of interesting birds in the coming years too!

Best,

Aaron