Date: 12/28/20 10:13 am
Subject: Crossbills and Grosbeaks Clarification
Hi All,
Apologies for not including the location: in my excited haste, I concluded that everyone had heard about their previous sightings of the two species at Flat River.
Here are the directions to get to where I saw them:
Take the gravel road from parking lot around the swamp and turn right at the T. Turn right again at the Barn Owl nest box. Continue all the way down this road (there are two places where it will be beneficial to wear Gor-Tex boots and to be on your best balance) until it ends in a big clearing. From the clearing, look to the right and you’ll see two pine trees in the back, right next to each other. The flock of evening grosbeaks was in these trees. The crossbills just flew over, though one was spotted with the grosbeaks in the pine trees. Also: I saw a northern harrier in the first swamp, not a quarter mile from the parking lot.

Again, apologies to all, and good luck with your birding!

-- Noah Rokoske

Join us on Facebook!