Date: 12/28/20 7:44 am
From: Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] December 28, 2020: Coyote Hollow, Thetford Center
7:22 a.m. 30 degrees, wind SE 6 mph. Sky: a thick mantle of gray clouds,
sunrise slips by scarcely noticed. Permanent streams: water level high and
loud, fragile and decorative ice formations coat overhanging stems and
twigs. Wherever there's a splash, here and there, glistening projections
from the shoreline, tiny visors of ice. Wetlands: chickadee in the alders,
creeper and nuthatch in the pines. A busybody red squirrel delivers a
soliloquy (dogs ignore, I pay attention). Marsh still and silent as a tomb.
No sign of the owl I flushed last Saturday morning en route to the town's
transfer station—off pine limb and over the road and marsh, more float than
fly. Globe of a head, soft feathers. A split-second dream. Our eyes met for
a nanosecond. Pond: a replay of yesterday, ice panes close otter portholes,
thinnest of windows into a hidden world . . . too thin for me to peer into.

Enthralled by a raven, a black bird beneath the gray sky, flies north,
trailing his voice behind him. Two crows palaver, harsh and loud. Two
crossbills several times, back and forth, engage in a less spirited
discussion. More schmoozing than crowing.

A sunrise with subtle gestures, barely tangible . . . soft and faint like
owl down.

Join us on Facebook!