Date: 12/28/20 1:28 am
Subject: Trip Summary Dec 25 to 27, 2020

Greetings all and Merry Belated Christmas and Happy New Year

So on Christmas morning after checking the weather I made the 4 hr drive down to Manteo to try for the Black-Throated Gray Warbler and thanks to Jeff Lewis providing info on where to look for it and that it most likely would be alone , it took almost and hour to find it. Just as I did it started to rain as I was trying to get pictures and then all of a sudden it quit raining the clouds opened up and the warbler jumped right into the sunny branches and pictures taken.

From there it was a 3 hr drive to Morehead City to see the Bullock’s Oriole and upon arrival with in a few minutes I saw what I thought was the female Bullock’s and then another and then another for a total of 5 Orioles. With most looking like the first I reported 5 of them on the text alert. Turns out afterwards that they were Baltimore so I corrected my report on eBird and around 1700 hrs I called it a day.

I called a local nearby motel the Bask and spent the night there and ate what snacks I could for supper since it was Christmas Day everything was closed except for a convenient store which wouldn’t have anything I could eat except for what I already had.

Breakfast at Bask first serving hrs was from 6 to 7 so at 0500 hrs I called the front desk to remind the person fixing my breakfast to fix my sausage patties before she fixed anyone else’s sausage biscuits and to add two more yogurts to my breakfast since I didn’t have supper last night and I was really hungry.

Well with minutes there was a knock on the door and I heard “BREAKFAST” , oh wow I was so glad. Later when I went down for coffee and to check out I meet her and I thank her for bringing my breakfast so fast and she replied that she heard that I hadn’t had supper so she brought it up to me ASAP.

So after checkout, I’m headed back for the Bullock’s Oriole and arrived at 0800 hrs and at 0830 it landed in the tree to the right of the house and looks down at the full jelly feeders but does come down to eat and then fly off. In a few minutes he returned and again remained in the tree and flys off again. After putting on my mask I went and thanked the homeowner for letting us come and visit with her wonderful guest the Bullock’s Oriole.

Now I’m off to Ft Fisher in I stand corrected New Hanover Co (I had post it was Hyde my bad) another 2.5 hr drive and by now my butt is about to tell me he wasn’t going he just couldn’t take anymore being set on.

Well he was wrong and we made to the Ft Fisher monument parked and walked around the monument to the other side and went left along the big bush pile and came up to the highway crossed over and then in a small clearing with a bushy area I started to walk in and saw a bird fly down and then back up to perch and so with just 15 minutes of searching I found the Kingbird.

Yea all three RARE target species gotten and with a day to spare.

My plan was to spend Saturday and search again if needed on Sunday morning so with the Kingbird checked off I went to Carolina Beach SP that I made my first visit to in May 1982 where I saw my first Painted Bunting hoping to see an over wintering bunting at a feeder.

Well no luck. I ran to local birder and park ranger Jesse Anderson who told me where to be at dusk for GH Owls and I stayed until 1730 hrs but no owls and there was a great deal of background noise so I left. I did reach 100 species for New Hanover County for my county list.

I really wanted to bird the park again on Sunday but couldn’t find any where to eat or spend the night except for in Wilmington so after my supper at Chick-fil-A thank God they have Gluten Free fries which I love, I decided to head for home a 4 hr drive.

But after reaching Raleigh I had enough and spent the night and on Sunday morning with a freezing temp of 27 I spend a little over two hrs at 17 Acre Woods looking for an Orange-Crowned Warbler that I have tried to find for my Durham Co Life list and frozen stiff and aching joints I finally have it on my list. He was harder to find then all three of the rare birds combined but it’s done got it.

Once in my car I started it up, turn on the heater and the butt warmer and boy did that really feel great. My next stop would be home and it felt great after such a long 755 mile trip over three days.

Three species added to N.C. Life List 336
One species added to Durham Co 214
One more County over 100 species 17

Thank you Lord

Number of Checklists: 9
Number of Taxa: 65

Checklists included in this summary:
(1): Hwy 64 in front of North End Park
Date: Dec 25, 2020 at 11:40 AM
(2): 28847–28933 US-64 W, Jamesville US-NC
Date: Dec 25, 2020 at 2:12 PM
(3): 5114 Midyette Ave, Morehead City US-NC
Date: Dec 25, 2020 at 3:50 PM
(4): 5114 Midyette Ave, Morehead City US-NC
Date: Dec 26, 2020 at 8:00 AM
(5): Fort Fisher--Ocean Overlook/Coquina Outcropping/Gazebo
Date: Dec 26, 2020 at 11:30 AM
(6): Fort Fisher--Federal Point/The Rocks
Date: Dec 26, 2020 at 1:20 PM
(7): Fort Fisher--Ocean Overlook/Coquina Outcropping/Gazebo
Date: Dec 26, 2020 at 1:54 PM
(8): Carolina Beach State Park
Date: Dec 26, 2020 at 3:05 PM
(9): 17 Acre Woods
Date: Dec 27, 2020 at 8:15 AM

2 Black Scoter -- (7)
1 Bufflehead -- (7)
20 Ruddy Duck -- (7)
5 Mourning Dove -- (3),(4)
4 Ruby-throated Hummingbird -- (3),(4)
2 Clapper Rail -- (5)
1 American Oystercatcher -- (6)
1 Sanderling -- (5)
1 Dunlin -- (6)
3 Greater Yellowlegs -- (6)
5 Willet -- (6),(7)
3 Laughing Gull -- (6)
29 Ring-billed Gull -- (4),(5),(6),(8)
5 Herring Gull -- (5),(6),(8)
7 Common Loon -- (6),(7)
2 Northern Gannet -- (7)
25 Double-crested Cormorant -- (5),(7),(8)
30 Brown Pelican -- (5),(6),(7)
1 Great Blue Heron (Blue form) -- (3)
1 Tricolored Heron -- (6)
2 Turkey Vulture -- (5)
1 Northern Harrier -- (6)
2 Bald Eagle -- (1),(8)
4 Red-headed Woodpecker -- (5)
6 Red-bellied Woodpecker -- (1),(3),(5),(9)
2 Downy Woodpecker (Eastern) -- (9)
4 Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) -- (9)
1 American Kestrel -- (2)
1 Eastern Phoebe -- (5)
1 Western Kingbird -- (5)
1 Blue-headed Vireo -- (5)
5 Blue Jay -- (1),(4),(9)
8 American Crow -- (5),(8)
3 Carolina Chickadee -- (8),(9)
7 Tufted Titmouse -- (5),(8),(9)
1 Golden-crowned Kinglet -- (9)
2 Ruby-crowned Kinglet -- (9)
1 Red-breasted Nuthatch -- (5)
1 White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern) -- (9)
9 Brown-headed Nuthatch -- (8),(9)
5 Carolina Wren -- (5),(9)
7 European Starling -- (4),(5)
1 Gray Catbird -- (5)
1 Brown Thrasher -- (8)
5 Northern Mockingbird -- (3),(4),(5)
6 Eastern Bluebird -- (5),(9)
1 Swainson's Thrush -- (9)
6 American Robin -- (4),(9)
1 House Sparrow -- (4)
1 House Finch -- (4)
3 Purple Finch -- (9)
4 Pine Siskin -- (9)
3 American Goldfinch -- (5),(9)
15 Chipping Sparrow -- (5)
25 White-throated Sparrow -- (9)
1 Song Sparrow -- (5)
7 Eastern Towhee -- (8),(9)
1 Bullock's Oriole -- (4)
23 Baltimore Oriole -- (3),(4)
16 Red-winged Blackbird -- (8)
1 Orange-crowned Warbler -- (9)
2 Pine Warbler -- (5)
12 Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) -- (3),(5),(8)
1 Black-throated Gray Warbler -- (1)
4 Northern Cardinal -- (9)

This trip summary was created using the eBird app for iPhone and iPad.
See eBird for more information.

From my iPhone

Go Birding be Safe

May God Bless and Keep You