Date: 12/27/20 5:45 pm
From: cllongmore via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] How to see 100+ Dovekies in MA
I was fine with the other emails about the dovekies and could appreciate the differing opinions.  But the latest one from William freedberg (i had to delete parts because of size limitation) - just because I hope that people share their rarities I'm entitled? Wow.  Claudia longmore Wethersfield
-------- Original message --------From: William Freedberg via CTBirds <ctbirds...> Date: 12/27/20 7:33 PM (GMT-05:00) To: <ctbirds...> Subject: [CT Birds] How to see 100+ Dovekies in MA Hi folks,Dovekies are a tricky bird to see, but not that tricky. While they areextremely rare and difficult to see in Long Island Sound, they are almostreliable in MA in some years. Since some folks on the list felt the need topublicly express how badly they wanted to see a Dovekie, I thought I'd postsome extralimital tips on how to see them with just a 3 hour drive from theNew Haven area.First, I want to make one thing abundantly clear as someone who hasrescued, handled, and released rehabilitated Dovekies: wildlife releasesare not public spectacles. Nobody has a right to be notified of a wildliferelease. The crowds that show up to some rarity chases would make a releasemuch more stressful for the bird and would pressure on the rehabbers.Now, on to the fun part.The first step is to visit a weather modeling website like Windy dot com ordownload an app like PredictWind or Windy, and check the forecastperiodically in November and December (and throughout the winter). (Deleted ...)Finally, I want to thank everyone on this list for the thousands of timespeople /have/ posted and publicized rarities here (particularly the peoplewho were in the small group at the dovekie release, who are great aboutthis). I hope this list serves as evidence that there is no grandconspiracy to keep "plebes" like me away from good birds. There are manyreasons why a rarity might not get posted-- a sensitive location, asensitive species, or just a lack of time or interest or willpower on thepart of the observer-- and that is OK. There is no moral exigency on expertbirder (or an amateur) to post a rarity. Pretending otherwise smacks ofentitlement.Best,WillBoston MA and New Haven <CT4mrfish...> list is provided by the Connecticut Ornithological Association (COA) for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut.For subscription information visit http://lists.ctbirding.org/mailman/listinfo/ctbirds_lists.ctbirding.org