Date: 12/27/20 5:41 pm
From: maliadances via groups.io <maliadances...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Ferruginous Hawk and Yellow-bellied Sapsucker Pescadero 12/27
Chris and I headed to Pescadero this morning. We drove into town to look for the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker that was reported on 12/22/20 by Noah Arthur. While we spent some time hoping to see the sapsucker, we did not get to see it. However, while searching, a juvenile light morph FERRUGINOUS HAWK flew overhead, so we decided to follow it. Driving along Pescadero Creek Rd. we saw the hawk land in the agricultural field south of the road, roughly half way between Water Ln. and Stage Rd. We stopped and got photos of the Ferruginous Hawk which flew up from the field and spent some time circling right above our heads for stellar views. This is probably the same hawk reported on 12/23/20 by Scott Kaiser. Photos of the Ferruginous Hawk here:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S78084813

We decided to drive over Stage Rd. and stopped at the riparian area near 1655 Stage Rd. There I spotted what may be a previously reported YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER working sap wells in a Eucalyptus. It looks very much like the bird Devin Peyton photographed on 12/2. The red on the crown and throat is not very vibrant, so we feel this may be a young male. Photos of the sapsucker are on checklist below and comments welcome:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S78091016

Malia DeFelice and Chris Hayward