Date: 12/27/20 2:35 pm
From: m_m_rogers <m.m.rogers...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Calero-Morgan Hill CBC - 12/26/2020
All,

Yesterday 12/26/2020, I birded the San Felipe Ranch (private property) and areas along Las Animas and San Felipe roads for the Calero-Morgan Hill CBC. I ended up with 2028 individuals of 63 species, both slightly below average. There was a complete lack of ducks and shorebirds and the ponds were completely or nearly dry. On the other hand, 150 PINE SISKINS was an all-time high count for this area and 200 BAND-TAILED PIGEONS was the highest tally since 2012. Lingering rain showers and lots of dripping water from the trees hampered owling and I only managed to find 3 GREAT HORNED and 3 WESTERN SCREECH-OWLS. Otherwise, the riparian vegetation along San Felipe Creek and nearby delivered a few notable species, as usual, including 3 HUTTON'S VIREOS, 4 BROWN CREEPERS, 1 PACIFIC WREN, 1 GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET, 41 VARIED THRUSHES, and 1 TOWNSEND'S WARBLER (compared to 18 last year). I did manage to flush up a sparrow in the grassy area where I found a Grasshopper Sparrow in 2015, but could not locate it again. Raptors included 1 GOLDEN EAGLE and an immature FERRUGINOUS HAWK.

Mike Rogers
Sunnyvale, CA

View/Reply Online (#23313): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/23313
-=-=-