Date: 12/27/20 11:56 am
From: Dorsey, Kurk <Kurk.Dorsey...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Lee/Durham CBC highlight, and Red-letter day today in Lee
Birders
Many people started the Lee/Durham Boxing Day Bird Count yesterday, but several got blown into other circles, so I'm not sure how many people actually completed the count. We are currently at 81 species, which would be the 3rd highest in count history. The survivors all agreed that yesterday's wind was far better than the rainy day on Christmas.

We had several highlights:
--Robbie Prieto in Rochester found the count's first Yellow-breasted Chat, which appears to be species 149 seen on count day (plus 6 seen over the years only in count week)
--several species were recorded for just the 4th time--Peregrine (Dover), Savannah Sparrow (Rochester), and Red Crossbill (17--all time high, from 3 places)
--we had the 5th record of Sapsucker in Rochester
--6th count record for Pipits, in Rochester
--7th count year for WW Crossbills
--8th record for Turkey Vultures
--9th record for Catbird (Dover, Durham, Newmarket) and Bohemian Waxwing
(Rochester)
--11th record for Pintail in Dover
--12th record for Chipping Sparrow in Barrington and Rusty Blackbird in Rochester
--13th record for Pheasant in Dover

All-time high counts for Bald Eagle (17), Red-tailed Hawks (58), Creeper (38), Titmouse (593), WBNH (428, blowing away the old record of 300 from just last year), and RB NH (463--to put that number in perspective, in Rochester alone there were twice as many RBNH as the all-time high for the whole circle) were balanced by really low counts for GC Kinglets (5), Purple Finch (1), and some of the ducks.

I made a quick trip to Old Mill Road in Lee this morning and had a red-letter day:
--5 Red Crossbills
--a few Redpolls
--Red-tailed hawk
--Red-shouldered hawk (heard only, calling repeatedly)
--Red-breasted Nuthatch everywhere
--Red-bellied Woodpecker
--deeply disappointed there wasn't a Redshank in the marsh

Kurk Dorsey
Durham