Date: 12/27/20 9:51 am
From: janna pauser <jannapauser...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Almaden Valley CBC route
The weather was perfect for the Calero-Morgan Hill CBC yesterday. A
little overnight rain and a sunny morning really brought out the birds.
I made stops at 13 locations in my patchwork route in Almaden Valley. A
RED BREASTED SAPSUCKER in a pine in front of the library was the first
of two for the day. Small flocks of PINE SISKIN, PURPLE FINCH and AM.
GOLDFINCH were seen at many locations. I hadn't seen CEDAR WAXWINGS the
previous two weeks but they were everywhere yesterday. HERMIT THRUSH
were plentiful along Scarsdale Place where seventeen were found along 2
blocks! Also of interest were a MERLIN, BROWN CREEPER and two CHIPPING
SPARROW.

My last stop at 3pm was Webb Canyon trailhead to Quicksilver Park. I got
four needed species here, WILD TURKEY, CAL. QUAIL, BAND TAILED PIGEON
and a female PHAINOPEPLA in a mistletoe laden tree on the hillside.
Sixty species, 662 total birds may be my best results even though three
small ponds were disappointing.

Janna Pauser
Almaden Valley

View/Reply Online (#23310): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/23310