Date: 12/27/20 7:09 am
From: Mark Szantyr via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Birders.
Without a doubt there is a caste system in the birding community. In my various incarnations, i have occupied most of them, from insider to untouchable. Its the way of all social groups. I know how ot feels to hear about everything and how it feels to hear about nothing. While often my choice, the not hearing feels bad.

It is a matter of trust. That is how the castes are determined.

You can not leave your caste or jump to a higher level. That happens when you are reincarnated in the community’s eyes to a higher or lower position. Finding the ultimate rarity can result in instant acceptance. Misidentifying a bird can send you instantly down.

Thus is birding.

Mark Szantyr
Storrs, CT
F12