Date: 12/26/20 7:48 pm
From: Dianne & Steve Kinder <000000023c9fba03-dmarc-request...>
Subject: North Central Mo. birding today

It was nice to get back out in the field on this beautiful day in Missouri, after being gone most of the Month. I went to the west Zell tract part of Pershing SP this morning. The pools were all completely frozen over, so only water birds were some small flocks of Canada Geese moving around. Best find was a couple of lingering Common Yellowthroats in a marshy area where I had seen one about a month ago. Had a Marsh Wren in another place. Plenty of Song and Swamp Sparrows and some Am. Tree Sparrows around.   Went on down to check out Swan Lake NWR. Found a flock of 40+ Lapland Longspurs on the way into Chariton Co. along South part of Ranch Ave, Have often found them there.   There was very little open water at Swan Lake refuge, so most of the 300+ Trumpeter Swans I saw were out on the ice. Same way with a fair number of Ducks and Geese except where they could crowd into a narrow channel of open water. Biggest surprise were two White Pelicans flying around. Good number of  Bald Eagles present with eight around a Deer carcass out on the ice. One adult Eagle was on the new nest in the NW corner of Swan Lake marsh. This is easily seen from the main entrance road.  Saw a Great Blue Heron and a Kingfisher at the frozen lake on the edge of town yesterday.
Happy Holidays, Steve KinderChillicothe, Livingston <Co.dmkinder...>