Date: 12/26/20 7:28 pm
From: Michael Hawk <hawk.mr...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Summary: Rancho Canada del Oro sector Calero-Morgan Hill- CBC
Hello,

This report summarizes the efforts of three birders covering the Rancho
Canada del Oro sector of the Calero-Morgan Hill CBC today, December 26. The
sector maps are drawn such that Rancho Canada del Oro Open Space Preserve
actually spans three sectors, so this team covered the core area, which
includes about 1/3 of the public space and 1/2 of the non-public restricted
space in Blair Ranch.

Today, we ended up with 50 species on our count, which is higher than the
past few years. I think this is partly due to the favorable weather - rain
pretty much finished around 6:30 AM, aside from some sprinkles or very
brief showers. The overnight rain/clouds meant temperatures were a good
15-20 degrees warmer to start the morning than the last few years.

Some of the highlights that stood out to me: 3 Great Horned Owls calling
(heard on Casa Loma Road at 6:15 AM), 1 Pine Siskin, 1 Varied Thrush on
Llagas Creek near the overflow parking (and we found the remains of
another), Cooper's Hawk, and White-throated Swift. We had a nice selection
of woodpeckers too - Acorn, Downy, Hairy, Nuttall's, Northern Flicker, and
Red-breasted Sapsucker all accounted for.

The stock pond in the restricted access area had American Wigeon, Mallards,
a Pied-billed Grebe, a Great Blue Heron, and a Belted Kingfisher.

The most numerous birds were Band-tailed Pigeons (275), Dark-eyed Junco
(150), Acorn Woodpecker (57), California Quail (55), European Starling
(40), and Oak Titmouse (29).

Some notable misses: well, House Finch is really the only big miss. We
expected to see American Goldfinch, but haven't found them the previous two
years either. Golden Eagle are occasional, as are Townsend's Warbler, and
we missed both today. Common Mergansers have been on the pond the last two
years, as have Wood Duck, so those were also misses, but certainly not
expected.

-Michael

podcast.naturesarchive.com

www.instagram.com/naturesarchive