Date: 12/26/20 5:25 pm
From: Bill Bousman <barlowi...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Palo Alto duck pond
Dear Joe,

I believe that the decrease in gull species is a consequence of the dump
closing.  Bonaparte's, that forage in the Water Quality Control Plant,
will sometimes take a break and bath in the pond in the hundreds.  But
the rare gulls that showed up in the Duck Pond were there only in the
heyday of the dump.

I don't know why the scaup disappeared, I've noticed that as well.

Bill Bousman
Menlo Park

On 12/26/2020 4:53 PM, Joe Morlan wrote:
> Does anybody know what happened to the famous Palo Alto Baylands duck pond.
> It used to be full of waterfowl and a good variety of gulls. It was an
> excellent place to take classes where you could get great comparisons of
> such species as Greater and Lesser Scaup. But the last few times I have
> been there, there were no ducks to speak of except for distant sleeping
> Northern Shovelers and a few scattered Ring-billed Gulls.
>
> What happened? Should we be concerned?
> --
> Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA

View/Reply Online (#23301): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/23301