Date: 12/26/20 11:08 am
From: Chip Clouse <chip.clouse...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] Re: Bird ID Binoculars
IMHO, the price would be worth it, even for the CL optical system (which is
Swarovski's lowest grade that goes CL, SLC, EL, brand new amazing NL) IF
the objective size was bigger to allow in more light. A 25mm objective is
the same as a compact binocular and we all know that a 32mm mid-size is
considered minimum for a good birding binocular with 42mm (as in 8x42)
highly, highly recommended. Make sense? A monocular with a good digital
camera that connects to the Merlin bird app probably already on your phone
through the Swarovski dG app you download to your phone (which allows you
to store photos on your phone to whatever its capacity is, not just the 10
photos on the dG device itself - or email the image to yourself (if you
have data coverage) then delete it off your phone to free up space - and
actually helps you ID the bird in real time is worth $2k IF the image is
bright and clear enough for the app to ID it correctly. Front Range
Birding Company (I'm no longer affiliated) was doing a rental program so
you could try before you buy. You will need to call to see if that is
still the case. Might be worth a look for your cousin with color vision
issues, John.

Cheers,
Chip Clouse
Golden (though currently visiting in New Smyrna Beach, FL)