Date: 12/26/20 9:44 am
From: Tom Hall, Fort Collins <redbear44...>
Subject: [cobirds] Fort Collins CBC - Larimer
The Fort Collins Christmas Bird COunt was held Dec. 19th. We had a great
day with 93 participants despite the new Covid rules, which were followed.
We got 100 species, which has only been done a couple times. Rarities
included 5 Trumpeter swans, two Red-breasted Mergansers, a late Turkey
Vulture, a Sora, five Eastern Bluebirds, a Vesper Sparrow, and a Lincoln's
Sparrow. High counts were recorded for the swans, Wild Turkeys (increasing
greatly along Front Range), Black-capped Chickadees aqnd Pygmy Nuthatches.
Rough-legged (1) and Ferruginous (cw) Hawks, which is much lower than
normal. Coots were low at 1 and Ring-necked Pheasants, a once common bird,
was absent for at lleast the last 6 years. Colorado's wildfires likely
helped counts of mountain birds, especially many more than normal being
seen in Fort Collins, which is abnormal. It turned out to be a great count
and I appreciate everyone's hard efforts.

Tom Hall
Fort Collins