Date: 12/26/20 9:27 am
From: Tom Hall, Fort Collins <redbear44...>
Subject: [cobirds] Larimer County Gryalcon
I saw a gray phase gyr on the South Valley Loop Trail, about 3/4 mile south
of Arthur's Rock Parking Area. We were on east side when it came over the
small cliffs to east on the west side of Horsetooth Reservoir. It flew
across the valley and seemingly landed back in a nook on the opposite side
of valley. No underwing dark feathers or dark cap and moustachial stripe
(faint one), and size pretty much eliminated the two other possibilities.
The belly was mostly white and only the flight feathers had darker gray
tones. The back was gray and it was a big falcon with broad wings. On the
way back, I tried to find it but it escaped to an unknown area. i assume
this is the Trilby Falcon. Once it flew up and over us, it dropped down to
about six feet off the ground crossing the valley. Be on the lookout
around Horsetooth for this great bird.

Tom Hall
Fort Collins