Date: 12/25/20 7:49 pm
From: Elizabeth Wiggins <000001a37a8a60cf-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] New Yard Bird
Merry Christmas! I haven’t been able to do much backyard watching this month but on Dec 15, I looked out the back door at a hoard of House Sparrows on my feeders and one looked “suspicious”. I grabbed the camera and fired off a few shots before the group got spooked and they all disappeared. I kind of forgot about it for a few days and then decided to download the pics and take a better look. The “suspect” was my first ever backyard Dickcissel - species #148 for the yard. I caught it again at the feeders yesterday and today, and this afternoon it joined a handful of sparrows in the front yard for some better shots. This evening I was editing the photos and it occurred to me to find out more about the bird and I noted that its summer range is in the US but apparently it winters south of the border. I consulted LABIRD posts this Fall/Winter so far and saw no mention of any, so I checked Dan Purrington’s “The Birds of Southeast Louisiana” and, indeed, it is not a normal winterer. Long way of saying that I guessed it was worth mentioning…. Pics at https://www.flickr.com/photos/bethies_shots/albums/72157717537328331 <https://www.flickr.com/photos/bethies_shots/albums/72157717537328331>.

Beth Wiggins
Metairie, LA

Join us on Facebook!