Date: 12/25/20 8:55 am
From: Nate Swick <nswick...>
Subject: Re: Update on banded Little Stint from McClellanville CBC
This is, indeed, a really cool bird story and congrats to Nate for being
the catalyst. Here is some more from Magnus Hellström of the Öttenby Bird
Observatory with their side of it all, which also included a photo of the
South Carolina stint in hand when it was captured in Sweden (not sure if I
can attach bird photos here).

==

During the late evening of September 19 2020, our ringer Tim van den Meer
takes a walk around the cape to check the nets that are open in order to
catch terns. Apart from terns, he also extracts a young Little Stint from
the nets. On his walk back to the BO, he incidentally catches another one
along the shoreline, using a flashlight and a net. Minutes later the two
Little Stints are brought into the ringing lab.

The birds were ringed as 2KN51474 and 2KN51475. The first one was brought
into our photolab but unfortunately the second one was not...

However, after some search today I believe we have found a singel phone
image of the head of bird no 475, taken by Lisa Vergin. Both birds were
then released...

These two rings were the last steel-2-size rings that were used here this
year.

So, exactly three months later, in South Carolina on December 19 2020, Nate
Dias finds a Little Stint, and manage to get great in-field photos that
appear to show 479 as last digits. However, this is inaccurate since that
ring is still unused here in our ringing lab. And a second look at Nates'
photos actually shows that the 9 is a 5, just slightly out of angel due to
the round shape of the ring (compare with the other 5 visible in the ring
number). In other words, it is indeed our second individual from Ottenby!

What an astonishing recovery!!! During the last 75 years about a quarter of
a million waders (and >1,3 million birds in total) have been ringed at
Ottenby, but this is our first ring found in North America! Many many
thanks to Nate for his achievment!!!

/Magnus Hellström, warden at Ottenby Bird Observatory,
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ottenby.se/en/__;!!OToaGQ!8tLqF9YmaYqJdoYwmXUTJkzEAYMeIKKwpZ5lJbCzaB9csDKFidViTa8AqDfPlh13V40$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ottenby.se/en/?fbclid=IwAR0KeVoDF4-dCoxUG2Era3ubY_TUUkF1bWbir_XeCBC0_nJI2veVWh3PpFk__;!!OToaGQ!8tLqF9YmaYqJdoYwmXUTJkzEAYMeIKKwpZ5lJbCzaB9csDKFidViTa8AqDfPQzW2m-E$ >

===
Nate Swick
GSO, NC

Nate Swick