Date: 12/24/20 5:00 pm
From: Harry Armistead <harryarmistead...>
Subject: [va-bird] Nassawadox Christmas Bird Count, Sunday, December 20, 2020.
I wimped out of compiling this year. Bob Toner took up the torch and recruited several others. Next year I hope to return as prodigal compiler. - Harry Armistead.
from Bob Toner: Good Evening All, 53 species -

First of all, Thank You to the volunteers who weathered the rainy Sunday to complete our count.
This email of our results is being sent to all of the folks Harry highlighted in his email. I have no experience in having these findings recorded as an Official Audubon CBC and will follow through with the additional steps required to make our results an Official Audubon CBC.
We undertook this count in 2020 as a continuation of an Eastern Shore VA Master Naturalist Annual Project of participating in the yearly Audubon Christmas Bird Count since 2007 or so.

Following first are the birds counted. At the end of the bird species counts you will find the required additional reporting information. Obviously, please advise whatever additional information may be required.

SPECIES:

Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 6
Tundra Swan 29
Canada Goose 21
American Black Duck 2
duck sp. 3
Black-bellied Plover 78
Killdeer 2
Willet 39
Dunlin 30

Black Vulture 1
Turkey Vulture 107
Bald Eagle 7
Northern Harrier 2
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
Cooper's Hawk 1
Red -shouldered Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 8
American Kestrel 1
Peregrine Falcon 2 (1 bird notated as a CW spotted 12/18 @ 1:42 PM on a road within our count sector)
Wild Turkey 33
Mourning Dove 56
Eastern Screech- Owl 5
Great Horned Owl 2
Belted Kingfisher 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 12
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker 4
Downy Woodpecker 10
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern ( Yellow-shafted) Flicker 10
Blue Jay 16
American Crow 32
Carolina Chickadee 4
Tufted Titmouse 1
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
Brown Creeper 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2
Carolina Wren 27
Eastern Bluebird 25
Hermit Thrush 2
American Robin 134
Northern Mockingbird 14
European Starling 119
Yellow-rumped Warbler 15

Northern Cardinal 35
Dark Eyed (Slate-colored) Junco 9
Chipping Sparrow 11
Savannah Sparrow 7
Fox Sparrow 4
Song Sparrow 2
White-throated Sparrow 56
Red-winged Blackbird 50
House Finch 6
American Goldfinch 11
House Sparrow 9

Other Species: Gray Squirrel 1

Count Statistics:
Weather Temperature 34 - 46 F Wind East 0 - 5 MPH Cloudy Light Rain all day from 8:30 AM
Water Open Moving

Mode Of Transportation
By Foot 4.75 hours 4.25 miles
By Car 11.0 hours 38.50 miles