Date: 12/24/20 3:02 pm
From: Pam Hunt <biodiva...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Penacook Survey - yep, another record
Despite the snow, which limits my access to a couple of areas on the route,
I once again hit paydirt on my weekly Penacook Survey. The previous record
species total for the last third of December was 31, and this morning I
found 33. The game-changers continue to be irruptive finches, which today
included my first White-winged Crossbills for the season (although I've had
them in the neighborhood over the last week. This was a flock of 26 that
cooperatively stopped to forage in a pine along Borough Road half an hour
after I set out. Also found were two each Red Crossbills and Pine Grosbeaks,
and 5 siskins, while I missed Common Redpoll entirely. Another highlight was
my first Golden-crowned Kinglet in TWO MONTHS. I'm not sure what's up with
these hardy little critters being so scarce this winter (as opposed to RB
Nuthatches). While I was stopped to watch the kinglet, a Ruffed Grouse that
was apparently perched across Bog Road from me got nervous and flushed -
another species hard to find in the winter, and a day late to make count
week for the Concord CBC if we needed one.

The open water on the Contoocook that hosted almost 300 ducks on Sunday
hosted only 15 today: 14 Mallards and a black.

With misses like redpoll, Hooded Merganser, and any hawk, the new record
could have been even higher, and I look forward to what January 2021 will
have in store. As long as the finch diversity remains high, those records
will start falling next (Jan all-time high is 32).

May you all have swans (native ones, mind you), geese, colly birds (European
Blackbirds - that'd be a bonus!), doves, and perhaps even a partridge this
holiday season!

Pam Hunt

Penacook

"The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of those who have not viewed
the world."

- Alexander von Humboldt