Date: 12/24/20 7:57 am
From: Dorsey, Kurk <Kurk.Dorsey...>
Subject: [NHBirds] vultures, redpolls, red-tails, oh my!
Birders
The last three mornings I've had flocks of redpolls in my neighborhood, 13, 25, and 7, so maybe different birds? Or maybe the start of a telephone number?

In the same spot later this morning I heard a Red-tail screeching, like a young one begging. I found two, the screecher and another (both seemed to be full adults), and the other appeared to be working on a hunk of turkey, based on the huge feathers hanging off the meat. I'm trying to decide if it was eating roadkill (John Hiatt has a song about that, and he's the source for most of my avian information) or actually took down an adult turkey--maybe a team kill?

Finally, a pair of vultures was perched along NH 108 on the southern edge of Durham today, so we at least got them for count week.

Kurk Dorsey
Durham