Date: 12/24/20 5:41 am
From: Rowe, Richard A, 'Dick' <RoweRA...>
Subject: [va-bird] Rufous Hummingbird in Rockbridge Co.
All - on our Christmas Bird Count (19th of Dec), John Pancake and Ann Olson visited the Herbery on Decatur Rd to see/photograph a suspected Rufous Hummingbird. I went to the Herbery yesterday and found the bird - it was extremely cooperative. I have sent photos and descriptions of its behavior to Bruce Peterjohn and he is confident that the bird is a Rufous HB. Bruce is hoping to band the bird and at that time he will confirm the ID.
The Louquet's who own the Herbery are gracious enough to allow others to visit and see the bird. To be honest, the are extremely excited about the Rufous HB. Please contact them before coming to visit - there is limited (only 1-2 extra cars would fit) parking. Their email is: <Louquet...><mailto:<Louquet...> or phone is 540-348-1331.

The Herbery is located on Decatur Rd, which is about 1.5 miles south of Fairfield VA. Fairfield is an exit off I-81 and the Herbery is about 4 miles from the exit. Heading south on RT 11 from Fairfield, you would turn right onto Decatur Rd and travel about 2 miles. The Herbery is on the left. It does not show up on my Google Maps but it is just east of Hyde Rd.

Here are some photos of the hummingbird:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vmibiology/

Dick Rowe
VMI Biology Dept

<bird...> To unsubscribe, send email to