Date: 12/23/20 5:27 pm
From: Emilie Danna <emilie.danna...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Pileated woodpecker on John Nicholas Trail
Following reports in this group, my son and I hiked the John Nicholas Trail
this morning, starting from the Black Road trailhead:
https://scvas.org/self-guided-birding/john-nicholas-trail-in-the-fallwinter.
The highlight of the trip was a pileated woodpecker. We heard it drumming,
then located it and it stayed on the same branch for at least 45 minutes,
allowing for good photo opportunities, except there were a lot of branches
in the way! Here are some photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tCxHsi667X1RwZQe8

We also saw 3 cormorants and 12 coots on the lake, 15+ dark-eyed juncos, a
few California quails, and a few spotted towhees.

We started birding this year and this group has helped us get started in
bird identification, and has been a great source of trip ideas to see "new"
birds. Thank you! Happy holidays and happy birding!

View/Reply Online (#23280): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/23280
-=-=-

-=-=-
Group Owner: southbaybirds+<owner...>