Date: 12/23/20 6:59 am
From: Bob Stymeist <bobstymeist...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Greater Boston CBC
The *48th Greater Boston Christmas Bird Count* was held Sunday December 20
2020; the total number of species recorded was 117 plus 1 count week
species (CW). Outstanding was the discovery of an *Eared Grebe* by Ted
Bradford on Jamaica Pond on December 6; this is a first for Boston. The
Eared Grebe brings the all time total for the Greater Boston CBC including
CW to an amazing *234! *Unfortunately the Pacific-slope Flycatcher found
November 24 by Ben Shamgochian remained up until December 16, one day shy
of count period. The snow storm was devastating.

Noteworthy birds included Snow Goose, 2 Redhead, Virginia Rail, American
Woodcock, Lesser Black-backed Gull, 8 Snowy Owls, 4 Pileated Woodpeckers, a
Marsh Wren and new high counts for 13 species

The Counts this year were unlike any other with the pandemic, we had had to
adhere to the guidelines of social distancing, face coverings and birding
solo or with only family or pod members. We did much more walking this
year, some group leaders divided their sections into smaller areas leading
to better coverage. We had new record high counts for 13 species. The
blizzard on December 17 brought over a foot of snow in much of the count
circle. Moving about was challenging. The weather at least was cooperative,
seasonable temperature and no wind gave us calm seas for maximum viewing.
We missed socializing over refreshments at Habitat, hopefully we will get
back to the fun of the countdown next year.

Next Years Count will be Sunday December 19 2021- Be There!

Good birding and Happy Holidays

Bob Stymeist, compiler

Greater Boston Christmas Bird Count

December 20 2020

117 species plus 1 Count Week Bird

*Snow Goose 1*

Brant 107

Canada Goose 5259
Mute Swan 118
Wood Duck 8

Gadwall 1

American Wigeon 4
Mallard 3013

American Black Duck 472

Northern Pintail 1
Green-winged Teal 5

*Redhead 2*
Ring-necked Duck 123
Greater Scaup 6
Lesser Scaup 2
Common Eider 1491
Surf Scoter 448
White-winged Scoter 183
Black Scoter *2002-HC*. Last year just a single bird

Long-tailed Duck 240-HC
Bufflehead 347
Common Goldeneye 88
Hooded Merganser
*607-HC *Common Merganser *827-HC*
Red-breasted Merganser 230
Ruddy Duck 83

Wild Turkey 90

Pied-billed Grebe 2

Horned Grebe 9

Red-necked Grebe 20

*Eared Grebe 1- NEW to Count # 234*

Rock Pigeon 2441

Mourning Dove 924

*Virginia Rail 1 only noted 5x- last reported 1998*

American Coot 20

Ruddy Turnstone 6

Dunlin 21

Purple Sandpiper 6