Date: 12/22/20 1:29 pm
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Lake Cunningham - Help ID Gulls
Audry

Hi there. The one on the left with that strongly bicolored bill is a first cycle (= first year) California Gull. They always show the bicolored bill at that age, Herring can show this feature, but it is not a “must.” Californias tend to look more uneven in plumage above, mix of gray, brown, dark and pale than Herring and they have a face that is dark and streaked with a big bolder white area in front of the eyes and base of bill. The two pale winged birds are perhaps first cycle “Thayer’s” Iceland Gulls, not much bigger than the Cali, without the big thick blob ended bills of Glaucous-winged. They may be hybrids, to be sure one would have to have closer photos, and sometimes even with them you do not know.

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>

www.alvarosadventures.com