Date: 12/22/20 12:52 pm
From: Chad Witko <chadjwitko...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Sage Thrasher- One Extra Detail
Greetings,

As others have already said, the Sage Thrasher was viewable today about a
quarter-mile north of the north parking lot at the Hinsdale Setbacks. As
previously stated, it stayed on the right (north) side of the trail where
the trees open up, and Brattleboro Road/Rte 119 is in view.

However, it is worth noting that if you don't see the bird right away in
this area immediately adjacent to the trail, be sure to look up higher up,
closer to the road. There is a lot of slash adjacent to the road, just down
from the shoulder, and the thrasher would occasionally fly up to this area
from time to time. If it is sitting still in this area, it could be easily
overlooked.

I also want to note that the thrasher was far from retiring in its behavior
while I was there. It often fed in the open and stayed teed up for long
periods of time, even as non-birders walked past within a few meters of the
bird playing fetch with their Golden Retriever.

Thanks to Susan Wrisely, Jack Swatt, and Steve Bennett for getting Cedar
Stanistreet and me on the bird so quickly. Good luck to all who give chase.

Cheers,

*Chad Witko*
"I came to believe birds are the most vivid expression of life. It made me
aware of the world in which we live."
Roger Tory Peterson