Date: 12/21/20 4:37 pm
Subject: Re: Photo with key details Re: Banded LITTLE STINT photographed on McClellanville CBC
Hi Nathan,
This is an ABA Level rarity. Nice find.
Is it on publicly accessible property? I’m sure many on this list are curious about that.
Most rare bird posts on this listserve and any other I’ve ever been party to in the Carolinas or New York also include the location of the rare bird or at least the reason why it’s unchaseable if that is the case.
Thanks in advance!
Matt Janson
Charlotte, NC / Ithaca, NY

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 21, 2020, at 6:28 PM, Nate Dias (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>
> I just posted another photo to my Flickr page - showing the gape notch and non-webbed toes.
>
> Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC
>
> --
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.flickr.com/photos/offshorebirder2/__;!!OToaGQ!6-B0TR94OvA-yhPN-iiFCTuENedseKyQpr4PDhxTENBtv295JP2GmcOs7zYO2yd6XYI$
>

> "These days I prefer to hunt with a camera. A good photograph demands more skill from the hunter, better nerves and more patience than the rifle shot." -- Bror Blixen
>
>> On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 5:36 PM Nate Dias <offshorebirder...> wrote:
>> When I saw the bird in the latest photos on my Flickr page, at first glance it looked like a basic-plumaged Semipalmated Sandpiper. Better be sure, I thought, since I give people a hard time for reporting Semipalmated Sandpipers in winter in SC. But the bill did not look *quite* right for a Semipalmated.
>>
>> Then as I snapped a bunch of photos to try and ID the bird band and report it, I remembered that hatch-year Western Sandpipers have shorter stubbier looking bills than adults. So I stopped worrying about the ID much and took some more snaps before pressing on (I had a lot of ground to cover in limited time).
>>
>> I have 15-20 decent photos of the bird showing band details. When I got some sorted and processed, I reached out to bird banding expert Dr. Chris Snook who was very helpful.
>>
>> As you can see in the photos, the bird does not have a one-line bird band code - it has three lines of alphanumeric characters. As Chris confirmed, this is not a USGS bird band from North America.
>>
>> * However, by studying the photos, we think it says:
>>
>> 2KN5147
>> Museum
>> Stockholm
>>
>> Looking at the bird closely and studying bill and feather details on my computer screen, I think it is a Little Stint. I have experience with basic-plumaged Little Stint from multiple trips to Kenya and Zambia - hundreds if not thousands of them and great looks at close range.
>>
>> I have reached out to the US Bird Banding Lab and will also email Swedish banding authorities after participating in a CBC tomorrow.
>>
>> I welcome thoughts and opinions on the bird and its band. I will post more photos to my Flickr page after tomorrow.
>>
>> Here is the link to my Flickr page:
>>
>> flickr.com/photos/offshorebirder2
>>
>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.flickr.com/photos/offshorebirder2/__;!!OToaGQ!6-B0TR94OvA-yhPN-iiFCTuENedseKyQpr4PDhxTENBtv295JP2GmcOs7zYO2yd6XYI$
>>
>> Needless to say, this is a first for the McClellanville CBC
>>
>> Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

Join us on Facebook!