Date: 12/21/20 3:12 pm
From: Mike Ambrose <mikeambrose920...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Phainopepla at Coyote Lake CP
Hi folks,

I was surprised to find a female-plumaged PHAINOPEPLA this morning at the
Harvey Bear Ranch entrance to Coyote Lake County Park. It was along the
Harvey Bear Trail - approximate GPS coordinates are 37.1073022, -121.5727366
<https://goo.gl/maps/VboKckpY9CNfMceV9>. Other notables included a
LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE in the same area, a GOLDEN EAGLE on the Willow Springs
Trail, and the continuing CANYON WREN at the dam (a pleasant hike from the
Harvey Bear Ranch entrance).

I'd never been to this park before and highly recommend it - this entrance
is surprisingly convenient (half an hour less driving than parking at the
dam for me!) and was pleasantly birdy, with lots of beautiful meadowlark
song. The area directly near the parking lot had a fair number of people
but I was almost completely alone after 100 yards of walking, and the
trails are wide enough to make distancing easy.

eBird checklists: 1 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S77805620> 2
<https://ebird.org/checklist/S77805601> 3
<https://ebird.org/checklist/S77805579>

Happy birding,